Businesses in Sweden that are registered for VAT are eligible to receive a VAT refund for any VAT that was paid on purchases of goods and services that were made for the business. The procedure for returning the VAT can be used to make a claim for the refund.
VAT Refund Eligibility:
In order for a company to be eligible for a VAT refund in Sweden, they need to meet all of the following criteria:
- Be registered for VAT in Sweden
- have made the appropriate VAT payments on all items and services utilized for commercial reasons
- Not be established in Sweden or any other country that is a member of the European Union.
- Not have a fixed base of operations in Sweden or in any other country that is a member of the EU
- Establish your business in a nation that shares a VAT refund treaty with Sweden and move your operations there.
VAT Refund Application Process:
In order for enterprises to be eligible for a VAT refund in Sweden, they need to file an application for the return to the Swedish Tax Agency. It is required that the application be submitted no later than September 30 of the year that follows the year in which the VAT was paid.
The following data are required to be presented within the application:
- The company’s name and location are listed here.
- The number of the VAT registration
- The amount of value-added tax that is being requested to be refunded.
- Copies of the invoices and receipts that demonstrate the amount of VAT that has been paid
- A certificate proving that the company is registered for value-added tax in the nation in which it is based
- Information on the bank account into which the reimbursement will be paid
VAT Refund Processing Time:
Following receipt, the Swedish Tax Agency will make every effort to process applications for a VAT refund within six months. However, if more information is needed, the amount of time needed to process the request could increase.